BMW duo unafraid of Renault revival

BMW drivers Robert Kubica and Nick Heidfeld have played down the possibility that BMW will be eclipsed by a resurgent Renault in 2008.

The French manufacturer endured a below-par ‘07 campaign after winning both titles in the previous two years.

But having taken the opportunity to get a head-start on its ‘08 car, and with double world champion Fernando Alonso returning to the team, it is expected to be a force to be reckoned with again in the coming season.

Kubica, though, says BMW has nothing to fear from Renault and must focus on closing the gap to Ferrari and McLaren rather than worry about slipping back.

“First of all I am not afraid, I am looking forward to where we will be,” the Pole said at the launch of BMW‘s new car in Munich..

“In Formula 1 there are five or six teams who are working 100 per cent to catch the front-runners and every single season there is some surprise.

“I think no one was expecting BMW Sauber to be so strong in 2007 and we will have some surprises in 2008.

“Let’s hope we will be stronger – I’m sure we will be stronger – and we make a bigger step forward than our competitors.”

Team-mate Heidfeld is more wary of a Renault revival, but still believes BMW will prove the stronger of the two teams.

“Very difficult to judge,” he said.

“I expect Renault to make the jump forward; obviously I hope they will not overtake us and I doubt it.

“Then I expect it will be Ferrari and McLaren being the strongest teams.

“But it is still early days.

“From what you see and what you hear, McLaren were quite good at the roll-out in Jerez and already setting some impressive times.

“So I guess it is Ferrari and McLaren again and hopefully we can close the gap.”

Posted by Unknown-Girl, Monday, January 14, 2008 6:36 PM